The India Alliance is no longer accepting applications to this scheme.
|Remit||The focus of the training program is to encourage basic, patient-oriented and translational research|
MD/MS/DM/DNB (or equivalent degree) qualified candidates and Allied health professionals with educational training similar to MS/MD
MBBS qualified candidates with MPH degree
|Duration of Fellowship||2 years and an option to request an extension for another one year.|
|Time Commitment||Allowed to perform clinical and teaching duties - 2 days per week|
|Roles on application||
Mandatory: Host institution in India
Sponsor, Principal Supervisor (Clinician/Basic scientist); must be based in the Indian Host Institution
A Co-supervisor (Basic Scientist/ Clinician); must be based in an Indian Institution
Optional: Mentor; can be from any institution from around the world
|Components of the application||
(1) Online application form, (2) Letters of support from the principal supervisor and co-supervisor: detailing their support and commitment to the applicant, proposed research, and training plan, (3) Letter of support from the Sponsor.
Letter of recommendation (optional)
Letter of support from mentor (optional)
INR 34 lakhs for two years will include personal support and research training costs.
Personal support: INR 75,000/month i.e. INR 18 lakhs for two years
|Decision making body||Clinical and Public Health Selection Committee|
One combined application will be invited from the candidate and the supervisor, which will be subjected to an appropriate review process.
If shortlisted, Principal Supervisor will have to attend the interview along with the candidate
This Fellowship is awarded for two years; with an optional 1 year extension
The total award for the Research Training Fellowship is fixed at INR 34 lakhs for two years. This includes the contributions set by the India Alliance towards personal support, research-related cost, travel cost, a contingency fund and 10% institutional overheads.
Personal Support for the Fellow: The Training Fellowship offers a consolidated amount of INR 75,000/month, i.e. 9 lakhs/annum.
1. In cases where no financial personal support is forthcoming for the applicant from the Host Institution, the total amount indicated above is calculated towards salary.
2. In cases where an applicant has been receiving or has commitment to receive a salary from the Host Institution, top up to the salary will be calculated to meet the level indicated above.
3. If the Host Institution’s contribution to the applicant’s personal support quoted on the application exceeds that of India Alliance cap indicated above, no funds towards the salary component will be provided.
4. In cases, where an alternate arrangement might be required for the applicant to get adequate protected time for pursuing the training programme, India Alliance may consider making an exception to the above policy, within the personal support cap fixed for the Research Training Fellowship scheme. This must be highlighted in the application.
Please note that India Alliance retains the right to periodically review and revise its provisions for the Fellows’ personal support.
Research & Training cost includes funds for Travel (INR 1 lakh/ year) and contingency funds (INR 91,000/ year).
1. Research-related costs include requests for laboratory consumables, animals (for animal studies), access charges, etc. Support to attend scientific meetings is provided under the Travel head.
2. Inclusion of formal course work within the Training programme will be required to complete the Fellowship. Applicants for this Fellowship are advised to identify their training needs and include the course details under the section “Development of training programme” in the application. It must be justified in terms of the requirements of their training. The candidates are expected to cover this cost using contingency funds and a separate entry should not be made for this cost in the Finance section.
3. Support funds for any major requirements (equipment or infrastructure) or support staff are not provided. It is expected that applicants will choose appropriate laboratories/ environments where majority of the necessary equipment and facilities required for carrying out the training project are already available.
4. Please refer to standard costing policy for details on categories of funds allowed under the provisions of the RTF scheme. The options indicated under miscellaneous costs should be used within the scope and budget allowed for the Research Training Fellowship.
- Principal Supervisor
- Mentor (optional)