1. Awasthi A, Mathur R, Khan A, Joshi BN, Jain N, Sawant S, Boppana R, Mitra D, Saha B. CD40 signaling is impaired in L. major-infected macrophages and is rescued by a p38MAPK activator establishing a host-protective memory T cell response. Journal of Experimental Medicine 2003; 197: 1037-43.
2. Mathur RK, Awasthi A, Wadhone P, Ramanamurthy B, Saha B. Reciprocal CD40 signals through p38MAPK and ERK-1/2 induce counteracting immune responses. Nature Medicine 2004; 10: 540-4.
3. Bodas M, Jain N, Awasthi A, Martin S, Penke Loka RK, Dandekar D, Mitra, Saha B. Inhibition of IL-2 induced IL-10 production as principle of phase-specific immunotherapy. Journal of Immunology 2006; 177: 4636-43.
4. Korn T, Reddy J, Gao W, Bettelli E, Awasthi A, Petersen TR, Backstrom BT, Sobel RA, Wucherpfenning KW, Strom TB, Oukka M, Kuchroo VK. Myelin-specific regulatory T cells accumulate in the central nervous system, but fail to suppress pathogenic effector T cells at the peak of autoimmune inflammation. Nature Medicine 2007; 13: 423-31.
5. Korn T, Bettelli E, Gao W, Awasthi A, Jäger A, Strom TB, Oukka M, Kuchroo VK. IL-21 initiates an alternate pathway to induce proinflammatory Th17 cells. Nature 2007; 448: 484-7.
6. Awasthi A, Carrier Y, Peron JP, Bettelli E, Kamanaka M, Flavell RA, Kuchroo VK, Oukka M, Weiner HL. A dominant function for interleukin 27 in generating interleukin 10–producing anti-inflammatory T cells. Nature Immunology 2007; 12:1380-9.
7. Awasthi A*, Dardalhon V*, Kwon H, Galileos G, Gao W, Strom TB, Oukka M, Kuchroo VK. IL-4 inhibits TGF-b-induced-Foxp3+T cells and generates a Foxp3- IL-10/IL-9 T cell population. Nature Immunology 2008; 9:1347-55 [*Equal first authorship].
8. Korn T, Mitsdoerffer M, Croxford AL, Awasthi A, Dardalhon VA, Galileos G, Vollmar P, Stritesky GL, Kaplan MH, Waisman A, Kuchroo VK, Oukka M. IL-6 controls Th17 immunity in vivo by inhibiting the conversion of conventional T cells into Foxp3+ T-regs. Proceeding of National Academy of Science USA 2008; 105:18460-5.
9. Awasthi A, Riol-Blanco L, Jäger A, Korn T, Pot C, Galileos G, Bettelli E, Kuchroo VK, Oukka M. Cutting Edge: IL-23 receptor reporter mice reveal distinct populations of IL-17 producing cells. Cutting Edge: Journal of Immunology 2009; 182: 5904-08.
10. Elyaman W, Bradshaw EM, Uyttenhove C, Dardalhon V, Awasthi A, Imitola J, Bettelli E, Oukka M, van Snick J, Renauld JC, Kuchroo VK, Khoury SJ. Reciprocal role of IL-9 in regulation of immunity: Enhancement of T-regs functions and Th17 differentiation. Proceeding of National Academy of Science USA 2009; 106:12885-90.
11. Pot C, Jin H, Awasthi A, Liu SM, Lai CY, Madan R, Sharpe AH, Karp CL, Miaw SC, Ho IC, Kuchroo VK. Cutting Edge: IL-27 Induces the Transcription Factor c-Maf, Cytokine IL-21, and the Costimulatory Receptor ICOS That Coordinately Act Together to Promote Differentiation of IL-10-Producing Tr1 Cells. Cutting Edge: Journal of Immunology 2009; 183: 797-801.
12. Awasthi A, Kuchroo VK. IL-17A directly inhibits TH1 cells and thereby regulates development of intestinal inflammation. Nature Immunology 2009; 10:568-70.
13. Awasthi A, Kuchroo VK. Yin and Yang of Follicular T cell Development. Science 2009; 325:953-5.
14. Riol-Blanco L, Lazarevic V, Awasthi A, Mitsdoerffer M, Wilson BS, Waisman A, Kuchroo VK, Glimcher LH & Oukka M. IL-23 receptor regulates unconventional IL-17-producing T cells that control early stages of infection. Journal of Immunology 2010; 184:1710-20.
15. Putheti P, Awasthi A, Gao W & Strom TB. IL-4 and TGF-b induce human memory T cells to become IL-9+CD4+ T cells. PlosOne 2010; 5:e8706.
16. Awasthi A, Kuchroo VK. Value added, Neural progenitor cells suppress inflammation and autoimmunity. Immunity 2011; 35:156-7.
17. Lee Y*, Awasthi A*, Yosef N, Quintana F, Xiao S, Kunder S, Regev A, Sobel R, Kuchroo VK. Induction and molecular signature of pathogenic TH17 cells. Nature Immunology 2012; 13:991-9 [Shared first and Co-senior author].
18. Yosef N, Shalek AK, Gaublomme J, Jin H, Lee Y, Awasthi A, Wu C, Karwacz K, Park H, Kuchroo VK, Regev A. Reconstruction of the dynamic regulatory network that controls Th17 cell differentiation by systematic perturbation in primary cells. Nature 2013, 25;496:461-8.
19. Tyagi RK, Garg NK, Jadon R, Sahu T, Karare OP, Awasthi A, Marepally SK, Elastic liposome mediated transdermal immunization enhanced the immunogenicity of P. falciparum surface antigen, MSP-1. Vaccine 2015, 33: 4630-8.
20. Tyagi R, Garg N, Dalai S, Awasthi A. Transdermal immunization of P. falciparum surface antigen (MSP-119) via elastic liposomes confers robust immunogenicity. Human Vaccine & Therapeutics 2016 Jan 25:0.
21. Sankhyan A, Sharma S, Dutta D, Chosdol K, Wakita T, Watashi K, Awasthi A, Acharya SK, Khanna N, Tiwari A, Sinha S. Inhibition of preS1-hepatocyte interaction by an array of recombinant human antibodies from naturally recovered individuals. Sci Rep 2016; 6:21240.
22. Rampal R, Awasthi A, Ahuja V. Retinoic acid primed human dendritic cells promote gut-tropism, inhibit Th9 cells and induce Th1/Th17 cell differentiation. J Leukoc Biol 2016; jlb.3VMA1015-476R.
23. Chihara N, Madi A, Karwacz K, Awasthi A, Kuchroo VK. Differentiation and characterization of Tr1 cells. Current Protocols in Immunol 2016; 113:3.27.1-3.27.10.
24. Malik S, Dardhalon V, Awasthi A. Role of Th9 cells in EAE and IBD: Lessons learnt from adoptive transfer experiments. Methods in Mol Biol 2016 in press
25. Gu G, Huang Y, Wu C, Guo Z, Awasthi A*, He X, Differential expression of long noncoding RNAs during cardiac allograft rejection. Transplantation 2016 in press (*Shared Co-senior author)
1. Awasthi A, Mathur RK, Saha B. Immune response to Leishmania infection. Indian Journal of Medical Research 2004; 119, 238-58.
2. Mathur RK, Awasthi A, Saha B. The conundrum of CD40 function: Host-protection and disease-promotion? Trends in Parasitology 2006; 22: 117-22.
3. Awasthi A, Murugaiyan G, Kuchroo VK. Interplay between effector Th17 and regulatory T cells. Journal of Clinical Immunology 2008; 28:660-70.
4. Awasthi A, Kuchroo VK. Th17 cells: from precursors to players in inflammation and infection. International Immunology 2009; 21:489-98.
5. Pot C, Apetoh L, Awasthi A, Kuchroo VK. Interleukin-27 as a novel cytokine to promote interleukin-10-producing regulatory type 1 (Tr1) cells development: molecular mechanisms and clinical implications. Journal of Interferon Cytokine Research 2010; 30: 381-8.
6. Awasthi A, Kuchroo VK. IL-17 and Th17 cells in immunity and autoimmunity. Epublication Focis 2011; May issue.
7. Pot C, Apetoh L, Awasthi A, Kuchroo VK. Induction of regulatory Tr1 cells and inhibition of TH17 cells by IL-27. Seminar In Immunology 2011; 23:438-45.
8. Kuchroo VK, Awasthi A. Emerging new roles of Th17 cells. European Journal of Immunology 2012; 42(9):2211-4.
9. Malik S, Muzamil Want, Awasthi A, Emerging role of gamma-delta T cells in tissue inflammation in EAE. Frontiers of Immunology 2016; 7:14.
1. Saha B, Awasthi A, Mathur R. Reciprocal CD40 signaling through p38MAP kinase and ERK1/2 in Leishmania infection. Deep Roots Open Skies: New Biology in India 2004. p. 167-72.
2. Awasthi A, Leu SM, Kuchroo VK. Cytokines and immune system. HLA system in Medicine and Biology 2010 Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers Ltd.; 1st ed. (Book Chapter) p. 19-41.
3. Awasthi A and Kuchroo VK. From TH1/TH2 paradigm to TH17 cells: Le roi est mort vive le roi, TH17 Cells in Health and Disease 2010. Springer (Book Chapter) p. 3-25.