CALL FOR APPLICATIONS Research Training Fellowships for Clinicians 2017
01 Aug 2016
The Wellcome Trust/DBT India Alliance invites applications for the Research Training Fellowship for Clinicians.
This Fellowship is open for clinicians who wish to undertake high quality research training in India under the supervision of experts in basic, clinical and public health research.
• Research Training Fellowships are open only to Indian nationals.
• Applicants can be in the final year of or have completed their MD/MS/DM/DNB (or equivalent) at the time of application.
• Applicants who have an undergraduate medical degree followed by an MPH are also eligible to apply.
• The qualifying clinical degree must be recognised by the Medical Council of India.
• Applicants who are either registered for a PhD programme, pursuing a PhD or have completed a PhD are not eligible to apply for this Fellowship.
• Allied health professionals with education and training similar to MD/MS/DM/DNB are eligible to apply. They should submit an official document from the concerned government authority confirming the equivalence and that training is undertaken as a "Full time Allied Health" course. Correspondence/distance learning courses will not be considered as a part of training towards deciding on the eligibility. The applicants must either be in the final year or have completed a postgraduate degree in the respective allied health science stream at the time of application.
• For applicants in the final year of their postgraduate clinical/allied health degree, the Fellowship will only be activated after successful completion and award of a degree/provisional degree.
• The Fellowship must be activated within one year of being awarded.
• Interested clinicians are encouraged to write to the India Alliance at [email protected] with their CV and details of the plans in cases where the eligibility criterion is unclear.
• A 2-year Fellowship to cover personal support and research and training costs, with the option to request a 1-year extension. The extension will be competitive, based on a review of progress in the first 2 years.
• An opportunity to get trained in the area of your interest through a comprehensive training program.
• Support to receive mentorship from basic, clinical and public health experts.
• Provision to pursue advanced courses required for overall development.
• Opportunity to enroll for a Master’s or other relevant degree.
• Clinicians can continue to perform their clinical and teaching duties for up to 2 days/week.
Essentials on the application:
• A Training plan- It is expected that the training programme presented in the Fellowship application is built around a rigorous research focus and should provide comprehensive training in research methodology and experimental design to the applicant.
• A not-for-profit Host Institution in India.
• A Sponsor at the host institution, who can guarantee space, time and resources for the duration of the award.
• A Principal Supervisor at an Indian Host Institution in whose environment a majority of the training program will be undertaken. This individual can be a basic, clinical, or public health researcher.
• A Co-supervisor can be identified at the Host Institution or at a different place in India depending on the requirements of the training program. This individual can either be a basic, clinical or public health researcher. He/She should complement and not be the same as the Principal Supervisor.
• One supervisor must be a clinician scientist and other either a basic science or public health research expert.
Application process: A joint application is required from the Applicant and the Principal Supervisor.
Detailed information on this Fellowship scheme is available on the India Alliance website at https://indiaalliance.org/fellowships/research-training-fellowships-for-clinician
The online application form will be available on the India Alliance grants management system from 1 August 2016 https://fellowships.wellcomedbt.org
Completed joint applications are due by 6 September 2016. There will be no extensions to this deadline.