Call for applications: India I EMBO Symposia 2020
18 Dec 2018
The Wellcome Trust/DBT India Alliance (India Alliance) and European Molecular Biology Organization(EMBO) are looking to fund interdisciplinary meetings that cover the latest developments in research areas underserved in India. These meetings should address discovery and innovation through an interdisciplinary approach, with the speakers and participants discussing important global challenges in the context of the life sciences.
- India | EMBO Symposia must take place in India, but scientists from anywhere in the world are eligible to apply, independent of their nationality.
- India | EMBO Symposia must cover frontier, pioneering and interdisciplinary areas of life sciences that are underserved in India, and include speakers with interdisciplinary expertise. Furthermore, the application should include a list of (mostly) confirmed speakers.
The meetings shall be:
- Small, with about 10 leading international and up to 5 national/regional experts as speakers and about 50-75 top students/postdocs/early and mid-career faculty as participants.
- Multidisciplinary: designed to bring together different kinds of experts - basic scientists, clinicians, public health researchers, engineers, etc.
- About 3 days long; may be preceded by a 1-day satellite session on techniques or background relevant to the meeting theme.
- Focused on frontier, pioneering and interdisciplinary areas of life sciences.
- Expected to result in a position paper to catalyze new research in India.
The maximum core funding available for an India I EMBO Symposium is €57,000
In addition to the requested core funds, EMBO and India Alliance provide:
- a maximum of €2,000 that can only be used for travel grants.
- a maximum of €1,000 that can only be used to offset additional child care costs incurred by participants or speakers when participating at the meeting. Eligible costs include fees for a caregiver or child-care facility, travel costs for a caregiver, or travel costs for taking the child to the meeting etc. You do not have to request these in your budget, the travel and child care grants will automatically be allocated to your event if funded.
- The deadline for applications for meetings taking place between the 1st of January 2020 and the 31st of December 2020 is 15 February 2019, 14:00 CEST.
- Applicants will be asked to complete an online and an offline application form.
- All incoming applications are screened to ensure eligibility requirements are met.
- The decision on which proposals receive funding is jointly made by the EMBO Course Committee and the India Alliance Meetings Committee in May.
- All applicants are informed of the outcome of their application by email shortly after the committee meetings.
For detailed information on the eligibility criteria, application process, key dates, format of the meeting and required documentation, please consult the application guidelines or visit India | EMBO Symposia website.