Call for Applications: Early Career Fellowships in Basic Biomedical Research
12 Jul 2019
The Wellcome Trust/DBT India Alliance invites applications for its Early Career Fellowships in Basic Biomedical Research. This is a mentored Fellowship programme that provides a unique opportunity for promising postdoctoral researchers to carry out high-quality biomedical research in India towards building an independent research career.
- Applicant must be in the final year of PhD or have no more than four years of post-PhD research experience from the date of PhD viva to the invited full application submission deadline (tentatively in October 2019 for the current round of competition); due consideration will be given to justified career breaks
- Applicant may have/be pursuing PhD in any discipline of science
- There are no restrictions based on age or nationality
- Applicant need not be resident in India while applying, but should be aspiring to launch an independent research career in India
- Applicant must choose a not-for-profit host institution in India that will administer the Fellowship for the full duration (5 years) of the award in line with India Alliance conditions and policies.
- Applicant may or may not have a faculty position
- Full spectrum of biomedical science from fundamental molecular and cellular studies through Clinical and Public Health research**
- Interdisciplinary projects are welcome
The 5-year Fellowship typically provides:
- Competitive personal support
- Generous research funds
- Funding to work overseas for up to 2 years and develop international collaborations
Essentials on the preliminary application:
- Outline (750 words) of a research proposal that seeks to answer an original biomedical research question
- A Fellowship Supervisor who would guide the applicant in the proposed research and a letter of support to this end; the proposed research is expected to complement and benefit from the Fellowship Supervisor’s research interests and expertise
- An additional letter of recommendation
Preliminary application forms will be available from 23 July 2019 (9 AM IST) at the India Alliance online application System (IASys)
The preliminary application deadline is 2 PM IST on 20 August 2019.
**We encourage Clinicians and Public Health researchers to apply in the separate Clinical and Public Health competition which would be announced later: https://www.indiaalliance.org/fellowshiptype/clinical-and-public-health-research-fellowships
Banner Image Credits: Dr Sam J Mathew, Intermediate Fellow, Regional Centre for Biotechnology, Faridabad