India | EMBO Lecture Courses
16 Dec 2019
The Wellcome Trust/DBT India Alliance (India Alliance) and European Molecular Biology Organization (EMBO) join hands to launch the India | EMBO Lecture Courses under which up to six lecture courses covering life sciences will be funded per year in India.
The aim of a lecture course is to teach participants, primarily PhD students and postdoctoral researchers. These courses will be designed to provide participants with background and underlying concepts, thereby making the topic accessible to scientists with diverse scientific background.
An India | EMBO Lecture course would consist of:
- Scientific lectures by experts (preferably the speakers would give a more general overview lecture as well as a more specific research lecture)
- Poster sessions and student presentations
- Additional sessions (such as those pertaining to technologies relevant to the research; journal clubs; reviewing of manuscripts; career options; and where, when and how to apply for post doc positions and fellowships)
- Practical training (if deemed necessary)
India Alliance and EMBO encourage the organisers of these lecture courses to consider covering scientific writing, job applications, presentation skills, or grant application writing. If additional trainers need to be hired, EMBO and India Alliance funds can be used.
The India | EMBO Lecture Courses are to be designed to cater to not more than 120 participants such that the ratio of speakers to participants is approximately 1:5. These lectures will take place in India and last between three and ten days to provide sufficient time for activities like discussion groups, poster sessions, and journal clubs.
The maximum core funding available for an India I EMBO Lecture Course is €33,500. In addition, the India Alliance can provide a maximum of INR 5.5 Lakhs (~ €7000) for travel grants, childcare support and training workshops. EMBO also extends its support to the organisers and meeting by: creating a dedicated lecture course webpage (including registration and abstract submission forms), providing a poster and advertising in selected print and social media channels and offering funds for an EMBO Young Investigator lecture, EMBO Science Policy lecture and EMBO Women in Science lecture.
Eligibility and Application:
Applications must meet the following criteria to be accepted:
- Applications for lecture courses must cover a topic from the life sciences.
- Scientists from anywhere in the world are eligible to apply, independent of their nationality.
- Lecture courses must take place in India.
Applications to organise an India | EMBO Lecture Course are accepted via the EMBO online system. Application deadlines are 1 March and 1 August; selections for funding are to be made by the EMBO Course Committee in April/May and in September/October. For detailed information on the application process, key dates, format of the meeting and required documentation, please consult the application guidelines.