Preventive measures for COVID-19: India Alliance closes its offices until 31 March
16 Mar 2020
As you are aware, a novel Coronavirus, which emerged in December 2019 and causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), has now spread to more than a hundred countries. Its spread and impact are likely to increase in the days ahead. On March 11, 2020 the World Health Organization declared it a ‘Pandemic’.
In the past few weeks, the number of COVID-19 cases reported in India have risen significantly. It is important to take preventive measures, as individuals and communities to protect ourselves and educate others to reduce the spread of this infection, in line with advisories by World Health Organization and the Govt. of India.
Following the current course of the COVID-19 outbreak in India, India Alliance has decided to take certain preventive measures for the health and well-being of its staff, service partners, and visitors:
- From 17 March till 31 March*, India Alliance offices shall remain closed. This closure may be extended depending on the situation.
- During this time, India Alliance will very much be open for business and the staff will be mostly operating from home unless essential.
- All outreach programmes, workshops and meetings scheduled for the period till 15th April are postponed.
- Please reach out to us through designated email addresses (or at [email protected]) or social media.
* In light of the lock down announced by the Government of India, the offices will remain closed until further notice. (Updated 31 March 2020)
For India Alliance Fellows and Grantees:
India Alliance is also deeply concerned about the health and safety of its Fellows/Grantees, their research staff, and potential impact the current situation may have on their research programme. Therefore, we would like to assure them that India Alliance, within its capacity, will help them overcome any research setbacks due to COVID-19.
Though the disease is spreading in multiple countries around the world at the same time, this is not the time to panic but to urgently use sensible measures and available tools to contain this pandemic.
Public health advisories:
World Health Organization:
- Learn more about how to protect yourself: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novelcoronavirus-2019/advice-for-public)
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) advice for the public: Myth busters (https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/mythbusters)
- Learn and show how to effectively wash your hands with the Safe Hands Challenge (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7e8nM0JAz0)
Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of India:
- Central and State helpline numbers: https://www.mohfw.gov.in/coronvavirushelplinenumber.pdf
- All advisories, awareness material and announcements: https://www.mohfw.gov.in/
Coronavirus: The hidden impact, WorklifeIndia, BBC News.
Preempting Pandemics: Building a Robust Public Health System, Carnegie India.
Getting a coronavirus reality check, with Dr Gagandeep Kang, Indian Express.